While I am very concerned about who we will elect as our political leaders, I must also remember that the real power of this world is not in politicians or political parties.
The real power to change ourselves and transform our world is through God’s saving grace. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast (Ephesians 2:8-9).
The only Christian nation is the Church, a holy nation that transcends all human boundaries, borders, and barriers. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all (Ephesians 4:4-6).
The only true freedom we have is not free at all. It comes with a cost that looks like a cross. For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery (Galatians 5:1).
Finally, a true leader:
- Possesses the indispensable qualities of personal character and integrity.
- Places the concern for the most vulnerable in our society as a top priority.
- Recognizes that each person they govern matters. None of them can be cast aside or forgotten.
- Willingly speaks truth even if it might have dire consequences.
- Acts on behalf of all humanity.
There is One who was already elected on our behalf. Amen.